On 2013-11-15 10:16, luka8088 wrote:

Yes. For example, if you have version 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3. And you find and
fix a bug in 0.3 but you still wish to support backport for 0.2 and 0.1
that you indeed need to make 3 releases. 0.1.1, 0.2.1 and 0.3.1.

There's a difference in still supporting old releases and working on five different releases at the same time that hasn't been released at all.

But then again having LTS that others have mentioned seems better. So
that only each nth release has 2.x.1, 2.x.2, 2.x.3.

 From my perspective, not separating releases with improvements + bug
fixes from releases with only bug fixes is an issue. Because every new
improvement implies risk of new bugs and some users just want to have
one version that is as stable as possible.

What do you all think about http://semver.org/ ?
We use this king of versioning notation at work and it turns out to be
very good.

I like it but I'm not sure who it's applied to applications. It's clear to see how it works for libraries but not for applications. I mean, what is considered an API change for an application? Changing the command line flags?

--
/Jacob Carlborg