On 11/15/2013 8:08 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Walter Bright" <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote in message
On 11/15/2013 12:00 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Walter Bright" <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote in message

Also, at least on Windows, you can call functions in a DLL without
saying
dllimport on them and suffering a layer of indirection. The magic
happens
in the import library, which provides the relevant thunk. It's about 15
years since I worked on this stuff, so I might be a bit fuzzy on the
details.

The symbol in the import library just translates to an import table
indirection.

Yes, meaning the compiler doesn't have to do it if the import library is
set up correctly. (implib.exe should do it.)

Right, I was saying the indirection still exists.

No, not really, at least not on Windows. Try calling a function in the Windows API and disassemble it. You'll see a direct call.