On Wednesday, 27 November 2013 at 16:15:53 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
I don't remember if it was brought up before, but this makes me wonder if something like an i18nString should exist for cases where it IS important. Making i18n stuff as simple as it looks like it "should" be has merit, IMO. (Maybe there's even room for a std.string.i18n submodule?)

-Wyatt

What would it do that std.uni doesn't already?

i18nString sounds like a range of graphemes to me. I would like a convenient function in std.uni to get such a range of graphemes from a range of points, but I wouldn't want to elevate it to any particular status; that would be a knee-jerk reaction. D's granularity when it comes to Unicode is because there is an appropriate level of representation for each domain. Shoe-horning everything into a range of graphemes is something we should avoid.

In D, we can write code that is both Unicode-correct and highly performant, while still being simple and pleasant to read. To write such code, one must have a modicum of understanding of how Unicode works (in order to choose the right tools from the toolbox), but I think it's a novel compromise.