On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 11:13:17 UTC, Siavash Babaei wrote:
Hi,

I primarily work in statistical modelling of financial data (risk modelling). I am at a point when I need to think about developing applications in addition to data analysis and modelling. My primary concern is whether or not I can run/call-on programmes that I have written in R/MATLAB/Julia. Accessing a database is also a concern. Now, I know C++/Visual Studio can handle this but I would like something more reliable and exciting (!better!) and I would like to know if I am in the right place.

Thank You

I have the similar issue (climate modelling), I have a C++ manager where i can issue commands (e.g. the command "writemodel" without codes will start a latex interface, the command "parsemodel" also without quotes, always without quotes, will parse the model, into data that a Scilab / R script can work on, then "drivemodel" will drive the model, i.e. run the Scilab / R / Octave etc as I run it. However, all these processes, the writing, the modell driving etc, can talk to each other by means of a file, which acts as a messagebus. Each program can demand an immediate action (e.g. the writemodel can demand an immediate break, update and rerun of a currently driven model) . I have been working on d program managing (encoding, decoding, queueing and popoing) all these messages between such processes.

Sounds trivial, but the commands are to be ordered according to their severity of demand, and in case of multiple commands having same severity you want them to be excuted at the same physical time in multiple threads / cores, and so on. Therefore, the whole indexing / sorting is implemented using a very generalized version of surreal numbers, whos sole purpose is to describe a (possibly self similar, not necessarily one dimensional) order.