On Friday, 6 December 2013 at 22:20:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
"there is no way proper C code can be slower than those languages."
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1s5ze3/benchmarking_d_vs_go_vs_erlang_vs_c_for_mqtt/cduwwoy

comes up now and then. I think it's incorrect, D has many inherent advantages in generating code over C:

Good choice of words. The competent C programmer is able to perform comparable optimizations at least in the hot spots. D gives you a few of those for free (garbage collection,slices) and makes some things significantly easier (templates).

However, I think the original statement is also true in the technical sense. The same argument can be made with assembly. It is impossible to beat "proper" hand-written asm, where proper means "only theoretically possible". In practice I agree with you that optimizing a D program should be easier than optimizing a C program.