On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 11:42:12 UTC, Manu wrote:
I've built a C codebase from the ground over the course of a decade with
~25 programmers.
It takes discipline, and a certainly sense of simplicity in your solutions.

It may work if you can afford to guarantee certain level of competence of majority of programmers in the team but I think is exception in practice, not rule. Also I had a bit larger teams in mind as it tends to happen with enterprise C :)

and what is more valuable than a
programmers time?

At some point new servers + server maintenance becomes more expensive than programmers time. Much more expensive.

I still consider C a macro assembler... I can easily (and usually do) visualise the asm output I expect the compiler to produce while I'm coding. If I'm writing performance intensive code, I am constantly disassembling and checking that the compiler is producing the code I am expecting. This
feels normal to me.

Did you use many different compilers? I am afraid that doing that on a common basis is feat of strength beyond my imagination :)

What would you want inline assembly for in D? Inline assembly is almost
always a mistake, unless you're writing a driver.

I can't find code Adam used to provide minimal d runtime stubs to compile C-like programs but he was forced to use in-line assembly there in few cases. Can't remember details, sorry.

And of course I am speaking about drivers / kernels / barebone. I can't imagine any other domain where using C is still absolutely necessary for practical reasons.

You can't possibly
schedule code better than the compiler.

I am not implying that one should do anything by hand because compiler is bad at it. I have not actually used inline assembly with C even a single time in my life. That wasn't about it.