On Friday, 13 December 2013 at 08:05:45 UTC, Manu wrote:
Well... I hate to say it, but I wonder if your choice of studio might not be the best to make a positive impression of the industry. It's a problem across the industry, but EA are notorious for being among the worst. That said, there are lots of EA studios, and they're all different. Which
one?

The former Bight Games in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. They developed The Simpsons: Tapped Out! for iOS. I made a point to ask during the interview about the infamous EA hours, and it seems like it won't be an issue. The team I'll be working with there primarily develops tools for the other teams/studios to use, so crunch time isn't a necessity.

I worked consistent 16 hour days for a year solid at my previous job (Krome Studios in Australia) before the studio melted down spectacularly. Never really gave myself a change to recover from that before going straight into another job which also had a lot of crunching (though
fortunately, a lot less in my department).
It was fine when I was a kid, but it creeps up on you. For me, I realised I wasn't putting the effort in that I expected from myself at first. I could sit there staring at my screen, but by brain kinda seised up, and I got
very little work done.
When I consciously realised what was happening, I had to start thinking
about how to fix it, before it ruins my lifes passion.

Yeah, I'm not anxious to work so hard I burn myself out within a few years. I'm not even all that sure what I want to do, so I've been making an effort to investigate a bunch of different "fields" of programming. Mobile, web, game development, enterprise, etc.