On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 03:02:48AM +0000, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 03:00:11 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> >On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 02:55:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >>People who want auto-expanding template argument lists can still do
> >>this:
> >
> >It's not perfectly clear, but it looks to me that the DIP suggests
> >removing the auto-expanding property of template argument lists.
>
> No, it would have changed language feature which is deeply
> integrated with lot of stuff and thus is untouchable. This proposal
> is only about Phobos and documentation.

That's what I thought. To make template argument lists non-expanding
would basically require a rewrite of the compiler, since it's deeply
integrated into compiler internals right now. And it would result in a
language so foreign to existing user code that it might well be D3. It
*might* be a possibility in the far future when we're ready to talk
about D3, but that doesn't seem likely for the next 10 years (at least).

It won't be covered in the book. The source code has to be useful for
something, after all. -- Larry Wall