On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 13:41:07 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 11:59:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 11:50:08 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
This misunderstanding arose because the name of the construct is misleading.

Can explain this a bit? What makes one miss distinction between language term and library type? (Hint: latter is denoted by CamelCase ;))

Language exists by itself, library feature is composed from language features and, as it happens often, they can interact in unexpected/unforseen/broken way.

Take typedef and Typedef for example (bearophile often posts shortcommings of the latter). Irrespective of whether each of them is good/bad, this is a clear example of differences between language feature and library feature.

Personally I am upset when I get some weird Phobos structure which simulates language feature, rathen then having feature in the language in first place.

I completely agree with that and would absolutely love to see tuples of all forms as first class language citizens re-designed from scratch with more consistency in mind (even made one proposal back then). But it is simply not an available options right now. I am not trying to create anything good with this DIP - just something minimally practical to work with.

But that does not answer the question how one may confuse library type with matching language feature - I don't remember anyone confusing the very same typedef / Typedef pair, for example.