On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 11:08:26 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
We always seem to forget that all newbies will eventually become
experienced current users. Current (experienced) users need a little respect as well, not everything has to be tailored to the next batch
of newbies by breaking existing users' code. Documentation and
tutorials are the solutions here.

And experienced users tend to overrate value of their own habits ;) Your point would have been strong if it was some fundamental inconvenience blocking certain power use cases. However in this scenario it is just matter of litle extra typing buried deep inside generic libraries. I think I can call myself metaprogramming power user too but I am eager to to those micro extra efforts for the sake of standard library simplicity.

Also while assumption that everyone will eventually become experienced user is true, not everyone will eventually be dealing with template algorithms - it is mostly business of library writers. And this newsgroup can give wrong impression about amount of library writers relatively to general user count :)