Am 02.01.2014 22:38, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
For example,
using `backticks` to write code snippets is definitely more readable
than writing $(D backticks), among many other things. But that does
introduce more syntax, which makes parsing more involved and also
requires learning more syntax. So, it's a trade-off.

I don't want to argue for as much syntax as Markdown has - even if I'd actually find that great, Markdown has become a kind of de-facto standard in the programming area - but, overall, at least the aspect of learning new syntax is not really worse than learning new macros. There may be cases where a form of syntax is more difficult to remember, but there are also many cases where the macros are actually harder to learn and remember.

Having said that, Markdown, if not implemented using a series of regexes, is a crazy format to parse. There is an existing parser in vibe.d, though.

Case in point: markdown lists will be styled one way. With DDoc
macros one can define any style of lists needed. (We've defined
BOOKTABLE in addition to a couple of other TABLEs, which works
beautifully in HTML and LaTeX; not sure how can be done in Markdown.

Styling is an orthogonal issue. Markdown was designed to translate to
HTML, so you'd just write CSS stylesheets to customize the output. Ddoc,
OTOH, was designed to be a generic macro system, so obviously it's
better at doing macro-based stuff.

Also, an important point is that markdown defines *semantic* primitives. They can be translated to whatever is required by the output format. In DDOC's case that could simply be some standard macros ($(UL), $(LI)).

BTW to Markdown HTML basically is what macros are to DDOC (just that it also has defined semantics). Inline HTML explicitly supported to handle advanced cases and, if restricted to semantic tags, provides a pretty good basis for translating into other output formats.