On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 11:36:20 UTC, bearophile wrote:
NoUseForAName:

http://rust-class.org/pages/using-rust-for-an-undergraduate-os-course.html

Why aren't they using Ada? It has a really refined and safe parallelism, it's quite safe, it teaches a student the correct ways of dealing with pointers, memory etc in a low-level setting. It's usable for hard-realtime. And it's way more commonly used than Rust. There are books on Ada. Its compilers are solid, and while Ada is being updated significantly (the latest is Ada2012) there's no risk in having important parts of the language become backward incompatible in the short term. Ada code is not sexy, but this is not a significant problem for an advanced course lasting few months. Ada is a complex language, but it's the right kind of complexity, it's not special cases piled on special cases, it's features piled on features to deal correctly with different needs (just like in D, despite D is less designed for correctness compared to Ada).

Bye,
bearophile

Ada is not hype enough, so it doesn't qualify. J/K (no death-threats please), I gave rust a try, i couldn't get it to run on my OS.