On 04.01.2014 13:09, QAston wrote:
On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 11:36:20 UTC, bearophile wrote:
NoUseForAName:

http://rust-class.org/pages/using-rust-for-an-undergraduate-os-course.html

Why aren't they using Ada? It has a really refined and safe
parallelism, it's quite safe, it teaches a student the correct ways of
dealing with pointers, memory etc in a low-level setting. It's usable
for hard-realtime. And it's way more commonly used than Rust. There
are books on Ada. Its compilers are solid, and while Ada is being
updated significantly (the latest is Ada2012) there's no risk in
having important parts of the language become backward incompatible in
the short term. Ada code is not sexy, but this is not a significant
problem for an advanced course lasting few months. Ada is a complex
language, but it's the right kind of complexity, it's not special
cases piled on special cases, it's features piled on features to deal
correctly with different needs (just like in D, despite D is less
designed for correctness compared to Ada).

Bye,
bearophile

Ada is not hype enough, so it doesn't qualify. J/K (no death-threats
please), I gave rust a try, i couldn't get it to run on my OS.

I agree with you here.

Ada seems to be growing in Europe, at least from what I can tell every time I attend FOSDEM.

I would say we have to thank C's lack of safety and the availability of GNAT for it.

But the language uses Algol based syntax and is verbose for C developers, which makes it not hype enough as you say.

--
Paulo