On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:03:56 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:55:54 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I think we'd need at a minimum:
what are your opinions on the I/O subsystem? I think a lot of performance/features could be gained by using D-based buffered I/O instead of the C standard lib. Tango is pretty much a testament to that...

Better speed is always nice, so it would be great to see some work in that direction. What are the specific shortcomings that make using stdio unrecommended?

For one, you are not limited to the standard C libraries buffering features, there are a lot of cool things you can do with buffers in D that just weren't imagined or possible back when the API for C's stdio was developed. Take a look at the docs for Tango's buffering system (http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/docs/stable/ look at tango.io.stream.Buffered and tango.io.device.Array).

It's also one less abstraction layer to go through.

-Steve