On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:30:24 -0800, Joakim <joa...@airpost.net> wrote:

On Monday, 6 January 2014 at 04:17:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/5/2014 8:10 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
Recently, I've been working to evaluate the feasibility and reasonability of
building out a binding to Cinder in D.

For reference, here's what Cinder is:

http://libcinder.org/

It's been well received by the C++ community.

I took a look at the website. Other than being popular what is it about Cinder that triggered this graphics push: do they make any good technical decisions? I can't tell just from looking at their website.

It's something that Walter and I have been discussing since the last GoingNative. A non-programmer (a sculptor by training in fact) used Cinder/C++ to create a music player app called Planetary (http://planetary.bloom.io/) for the iPad using Cinder. Walter, Andrei, and I feel that D would be a more appealing language to such creatives but D lacks the required seamlessly integrated graphics library they need to create their art. There has also been interest from a number of people for using such a library as a base for a GUI toolkit, and I am sure that their are game developers of the mobile/casual bent who would love something like this. We could probably even build in support for GPGPU work as that is closely related to graphics rendering.

Building a graphics rendering toolkit would provide the base library support for D to do quite literally anything with graphics, which is a major and growing part of computing today. It is quite essential that D have this capability.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender