On Saturday, 11 January 2014 at 20:46:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
On 1/10/14 11:50 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
The recent discussion got me wondering how Phobos stacked up
against the C++ Boost String Algorithms library.

Some background on the design of the Boost library:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/doc/html/string_algo/design.html

TL;DR: It works somewhat like ranges.

Google Spreadsheet with the comparison: http://goo.gl/Wmotu4
[snip]

Awesome! Shall we create an issue and link the spreadsheet from there?

Andrei

I'll probably just make an issue for each group of problems after
this is done getting feedback.

The big issues appear to boil down to two things: 1) The complete
inability to do replace/erase functions easily and 2) the lack of
Unicode collation support getting in the way of case-insensitive
operations which are correct in every language.

Number 1 is pretty serious for day to day coding. Number 2 would
just fill a hole in our otherwise excellent Unicode support
(something Boost doesn't even truly have, instead using locales
and character sets). In the meantime, for English and a few other
languages what we have already can be used to perform
case-insensitive operations.