On Friday, 10 January 2014 at 20:51:19 UTC, Dwhatever wrote:
This might have been brought up before but I couldn't find any thread about this. As things has progressed I wonder if Digital Mars DMD should move over to use LLVM instead of its own code generation and compiler framework.

As I see it with the small amount of contributors D-language has, DMD will never support anything beyond x86 as there are no resources for this. Also, why spend time on recreating the the code generation which has already been done with LLVM? This enables this community to focus on the language which is the most important part as well as supporting more and future processor targets.

LLVM is also the finalizer for HSAIL, AMD is using it for their linux port of C++AMP. But I would assume that ldc probably wouldn't have any issues generating HSA compatible code with minor modifications as is(as the LLVM backend will support it).

I have no idea if GCC will support HSA or not however Microsoft is fully supporting it, as is ARM. So I wouldn't think that GCC would be to far behind on that one.