On 2014-01-17 01:42:37 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> said:

Walter and I were talking today about the null pointer issue and he had the following idea.

[...]

Thoughts?

Which null pointer issue were you discussing exactly?

The one I'm mostly concerned about is the propagation of a null value from point A to point B in a program, where you only detect the null value at point B through a null dereference making it hard to figure out from where this unexpected null value comes from. Replace 'null' with 'sentinel' and it's no easier to figure out where the invalid value comes from. Except now instead of checking for null you have to check for null *and* for T.init *and* for all the various Sublcass.init you might get.

The idea is interesting, but I see it creating more problems than it would solve. I'm not even sure I understand what problem it tries to solve.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.ca