Am 04.02.2014 23:17, schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 16:37:20 -0500, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you blindly use ARC rather than sane RC. There is no reason to up
the ref count if the data structure is "owned" while processing it.
Which is a good reason to avoid ARC and use regular RC. If you know
that the entire graph has a 1+ count, you don't need to do any ref
counting while processing it.

This is an important point. However, the default is to be safe, and good
enough for most. As long as there is a way to go into "I know what I'm
doing" mode for encapsulated low-level code, the default should be to do
ARC. ARC should handle simple cases, like if the reference only ever
exists as a stack local.

One could also say you could mark a memory region as no-scan if you know
that the data it points at will never be collected for its entire
existence in a GC environment.

I think some mix of GC and ref counting for D would be extremely useful.

In my major Objective C project, I use manual reference counting, and I
do avoid extra retains for redundant pointers. I've also had a few bugs
because of that :)

-Steve

How big is your team?

Based on my experience, this type of coding falls apart in the typical corporate team size.

--
Paulo