On Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 12:43:19 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 12:12:31 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
D will never be taken serious by its target audience if no proper support is available.

What is the target audience? Is it clearly defined?

In the enterprise world I work on, very few projects have 100% source code available.

In my view discouraging libraries as binary blobs is a net positive, if that means you loose a specific audience I still think it is a win. Because I don't think binary blobs are positive for the eco system. I am quite certain that the plethora of libraries that you find for Python, Ruby and Perl exist due to the encouragement of source distribution and ease of library modification. (e.g. you cannot use the library without source access).

Binary blobs in C are less problematic (but still problematic) because of the language stability and compiler maturity.

Binary blobs that are DMD2 means you cannot move to DMD3 or recompile it to fix a compiler induced bug among other things. Maybe some commercial players will make DMD2 blobs available and then pull out due to lack of profit, that's not unlikely, and it sucks more than not having the libraries in the first place.

You would be amazed how many times I have written FFI code that decrypts source code on load.

--
Paulo