On Friday, February 14, 2014 17:50:56 Steve Teale wrote:
> On Friday, 14 February 2014 at 00:10:13 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > But the fact that you're even asking the question shows that
> > you have a very
> > different world-view than I do with regards to computers.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Jonathan, I find your response distinctly elitist.
>
> I certainly do have a different world view. I live in Africa
> where most of what you can get is probably old stock that got
> dumped here. Of the last 3 2G memory cards I bought, 2 were duff,
> and that's at $50 apiece, and little chance of getting your money
> back.
>
> Even when I got two that worked, my motherboard could only
> support 3 of the 4G, even though the processor is quite capable.
>
> We're stuck with 32 bit for a long time here, and telling us to
> get into the 21st century doesn't help much.

I was merely indicating what my expectations were based on what I know and
have seen, not trying to insist that anyone who didn't match them needed to
get a new computer or anything like that. And from the sounds of it, you're
stuck with hardware that's nearly a decade old, which is not the sort of
hardware that I'd expect a software developer to have. So, if anything, I feel
sorry for you. I'm certainly not trying to look down on you.

But it doesn't really change my take on 32-bit vs 64-bit. I still wouldn't use
a 32-bit OS unless I had no other choice, and it is only a matter of time
until 32-bit is essentially dead - especially outside of Windows. And it would
be nice if we could get to the point where everyone is on 64-bit OSes so that
we can stop worrying about about supporting 32-bit software outside of
emulators or virtual machines. But regardless of the situation in the third
world, as long as Microsoft continues to sell 32-bit versions of Windows,
we're still going to have at least some 32-bit software.

- Jonathan M Davis