On Monday, 24 February 2014 at 10:21:52 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 19:53 +0000, bearophile wrote:
[…]
Unfortunately ShedSkin is now essentially dead. And Julia could replace Python in some usages, because of its performance.

I have it on good authority, i.e. from a person writing a book who has the ShedSkin author as a reviewer, that ShedSkin never took off. It is not dead. This same author may pick up and run with ShedSkin over the
summer. Of course there is also Pythran.

Same author confirms that there is a lot of leaving Java for Python, not
to mention IPython now connects to Julia as well as SciPy.

Definitely an ideal time for D to have a high profile as a computational language that is easy to program with and connects easily to Python.

ShedSkin never took off but I benched it a few years ago and psyco was just as fast and was much easier to use. It seems to me that the make-python-go-fast community are mainly focussing on pypy which to me is much more promising. Converting python to C++ (like shedskin does) seems doomed to me, given the dynamic typing, JIT seems far better suited.