On 3/10/2014 6:21 AM, ponce wrote:
On Sunday, 9 March 2014 at 21:14:30 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

Yea, I've had problems before - completely unnecessary problems that
were *not* helpful or indicative of latent bugs - which were a direct
result of Phobos being overly pedantic and eager about UTF validation.
And yet the implicit UTF validation has never actually *helped* me in
any way.

self-imposed limitation
For greater good.

I finds this article very telling about why string should be converted
to UTF-8 as often as possible.
http://www.utf8everywhere.org/

I agree 100% with its content, it's impossibly hard to have a sane
handling of encodings on WIndows (even more in a team), if not following
the drastic rules the article exposes.

I may have missed it, but I don't see where it says anything about validation or immediate sanitation of invalid sequences. It's mostly "UTF-16 sucks and so does Windows" (not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with it). (ot: Kinda wish they hadn't used such a hard to read font...)