On 3/20/2014 3:51 PM, monarch_dodra wrote:
In any case, both proposals would be major breaking changes...

Or we could do this as alternate names, leaving the originals as throwing.

> Silently accepting invalid sequences sounds nice at first, but its kind of just squelching the problem, isn't it?

Not exactly. The decoded/encoded string will still have invalid code units in it. It'd be like floating point nan, the invalid bits will still be propagated onwards to the output.

I'm also of the belief that UTF sequences should be validated on input, not necessarily on every operation on them.