On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 02:31:46 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 3/23/14, 7:21 PM, Kenji Hara wrote:
At least I can imagine two reasonable cases.

1. If the code is ported from C/C++, breaking it is not reasonable.

2. If the two expressions are strongly related, using comma operator is reasonable to represent the intensity. I think rather it's an *ability*
to represent code meaning by using code style.

Kenji Hara

One concession we could make would be to disallow using the result of the operator. That might actually catch all bugs discussed herein.

if (condition) ++i, ++j; // fine
foreach (e; exp1, exp2) {}   // ERROR
if(pMgr->ShouldRecordEvent(eSE_Weapon), pOwnerRaw) // ERROR
return pMgr->RecordEvent(eSE_Weapon), pOwnerRaw; // ERROR

I think this would be a compromise worth looking into.

I like it a lot. Almost *all* the "abusive" uses of "operator comma" I've seen use this trait of operator comma. So this would kill those:
//----
auto a = fun(), 5; //WTF is wrong with you?
//----

On the other hand, the "legit" cases of comma never seem to use the return value. The "only" execute two statements in a single context. For example:

//----
for (size_t i, j ; someCondition() ; ++i, ++j )
{...}
//----

I think this is *the* single most common use of operator comma, and I also think it is perfectly legit. Sure, it can easily be migrated away from, but I think it would be gratuitous breakage of good code.

--------

So this has my +1 vote.