On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 at 17:33:20 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
After the recent discussions regarding the comma operator, and after inspecting the patterns of code affected by it, Walter and I would back up the following change to the D language:

1. The comma operator stays with its current syntax.

2. The semantics is the same unless warnings are enabled with "-w"

3. In "-w" mode, semantics are changed in that the type of the comma operator is NOT the type of its last expression, but instead it's void.

4. Later on the warning will be promoted to a deprecation followed by removal from the language.

5. Reintroducing the result type as a tuple remains a future possibility.

We believe the change would be beneficial for the following reasons:

1. Based on druntime and phobos, the breakage is likely to be infrequent.

2. The change may catch (and has caught) important bugs caused by misplacing closing parentheses.

3. Most code using the result of the comma expression looks foreign even to seasoned programmers and might gain in clarity from a refactor.

Please reply to discuss this possibility.

Andrei

Having the comma expression return void is a pretty clever way of disallowing most of its buggy usage. You mentioned in the other thread that we are looking at 5 years or more before the comma operator can be used in tuple expressions. Is that timeline still accurate with these proposed changes?