Wow many questions. I'll try my best but I'm not the most knowledgeable person out there.

On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 01:20:43 UTC, Bill Buckels wrote:
On Thursday, 3 April 2014 at 21:06:52 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:

This seems out of place? What about D for .NET?

That was really my question:) If D was to have the sfloat24 built-in data type, to what extent would that affect using an interface layer like .NET?
Wouldn't affect.

Or does anybody use D in .NET? Does anyone care what Microsoft does with their layers?
There was D.NET attempt but it has stalled, conflation of slices and dynamic arrays was one of the problems IIRC. So no, I think nobody runs D on the CLR.

How about IOs? Anything precise happening in D over there? OSX?
D runs native there.

Would the availability of sfloat24 in D expand the use of D in the .NET environment? Or for that matter any environment? Arduino? Raspberry Pi? Bluetooth?

No since D already have custom float, which can be tailored for the problem at hand (like you would tailor a fixed-point integer to a particular problem).

Anyone doing FPGA in D on some new contraption that isn't built yet?
Don't think so. FPGA men mostly have contempt for C code converted to FPGA code.

Exactly what are your views on sfloat24 after reading the papers? Rsik versus Reward for any language like D in this case that took a giant leap of faith and decided to provide support for sfloat24?

I personally don't need that type. I would say risk = reward = 0 :), since custom numerical data-type can be easily implemented in D. Might be useful on small hardware with no accelerated float like you suggested.

Is this just something that electrical engineers are going to use doing experimental programming or has sfloat24 some practical merit that would make it desirable as a built-in data type for the D community.

Well it doesn't need to be builtin anyway, so you can go ahead and implement sfloat24.d

The banking software I wrote back then runs after-hours and nobody much cared if it was COBOL or C++ back then... is it still the same job market today for you even in D? Or does the bank just add a couple more blade servers when things bog-down?
I don't work in this field but performance is still paramount, and you can't just tell the customer to add blades, consumption and space are important too.

With the prevalence of blue-tooth and embedded systems today, are there any D programmers who are working in those environments.

There are a few.

If so, does anyone want it besides scientists? Where's the use case in D? If any?

Very high code reuse through classical OO polymorphism and static polymorphism. High performance, productivity and friendliness. Doing any calculation at compile-time, then generating code out of it.
Not dealing with the high cost of writing C++ ;)
A lot of liberty in the way of doing things.

Questions of that nature...

Also is anyone working on a trajectory calculation for a lunar landing in D? My friend Jack Crenshaw is with one of the google ranger groups... but I don't get out much so I don't know what other people do anymore:)

So I thought I should ask.

Bill