On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:13:17 -0400, Brad Anderson <e...@gnuk.net> wrote:

On Thursday, 10 April 2014 at 19:48:16 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:38:37 -0400, Tommi <tommitiss...@hotmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, 10 April 2014 at 18:13:30 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
As a general rule, first profile, then optimize.

Exactly. I profile the difference between running with and without bounds checking. If the difference is deemed negligible for our purposes, we don't spend time and money in carefully optimizing away bound checks that are analyzed to be reasonably safe to remove. You need the compiler flag to potentially save you all the trouble.

This is a weak argument. If you need to optimize, do it. Bounds checking is one of a thousand different possible explanations for slow code. You have to weigh that remote possibility with the threat of accidentally/inadvertently neutering @safe.

You also exaggerate the cost of changing a few @safe to @trusted. The cost of adding the -noboundscheck flag to the build system in the right places may be just as significant.

-Steve

Changing druntime and phobos is a much bigger deal than a flag.

It's not a flag, it's possibly rebuilding druntime/phobos in an unapproved way.

-Steve