My point is basically: a lot of projects / modules start out as little helper functions, prototypes or proofs-of-concept, but grow bigger very fast. Especially in the scientific community Python is popular because one can protoype very fast, test things etc. However, as the code base grows it becomes more and more obvious that Python is too slow and doesn't scale very well. I always say that if you have good code, think production and deployment, choose a systems programming language, it will pay in the end. Because the headaches you will have later with Python/Cython, will outweigh the initial advantages of "fast development". (I think it's better to develop a tad slowlier and consider various options for and aspects of a program than to have a quick success, but a solid mess. A lot has to do with impatience, not only deadlines).