On 2009-08-02 03:43:43 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> said:

Having optional parentheses does lead to unresolvable ambiguities. How much of a problem that really is is debatable, but let's assume it should be resolved. To resolve it, a property must be distinguishable from a regular function.

One way is to simply add a "property" attribute keyword:

   property bool empty() { ... }
   property void empty(bool b) { ... }

The problem is that:

1. there are a lot of keywords already
2. keywords are global things

Glad to see you're giving it some tought. :-)

The alternative is to have a unique syntax for properties. Ideally, the syntax should be intuitive and mimic its use. After much fiddling, and based on n.g. suggestions, Andrei and I penciled in:

   bool empty { ... }
   void empty=(bool b) { ... }

I like that. But then (just a question) can you do:

        void empty+=(bool b) { ... }
        void empty++ { ... }
        void ++empty { ... }

?

The only problem is when a declaration but not definition is desired:

   bool empty;

but oops! That defines a field. So we came up with essentially a hack:

   bool empty{}

i.e. the {} means the getter is declared, but defined elsewhere.

What do you think?

I'd prefer this, which can't be misinterpreted as an empty statement:

        bool empty { ... }

It also happens to scale well to any function delcation:

        void foo() { ... }
        void empty=(bool b) { ... }

The way I see it, the other function declaration syntax would still work, except for property getters where you'd need this special one.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com