On Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 09:17:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
You can modify a GPL'ed compiler to work as a stand alone server with shared memory interface. You are allowed to distribute it as a binary with other kinds of software. You don't have to make source available unless the receiver of the binary explicitly requests it, and only for the GPL'ed server.
I don't know about that last point, and I'm not about to reread the GPL to find out, but sure, it's all a matter of how tightly you link against GPL code.