31-May-2014 14:56, bearophile пишет:
My opinions about D array bound checks are slowly changing. I still
think "-boundscheck=off" is useful and good to have. But now I am giving
increasing importance to compiler logic that optimizes away bound checks
safely.

Cool, I hope it means you are getting ready to try your hand at implementing it!

People more and more want a safe system language, more and more
persons don't disable array bound tests. This means that optimizing away
bound checks is becoming more and more important in D.

All kind of a non-argument. Who are those people that are not disabling bounds checks in system language ? :)

And D can't
ignore this need any more.

Surely it can be safely ignored.
It's just a nice to have feature. Say in 2 years from now it may be closer to the top priority, but there are far, far more important problem to solve. Not that I'm going to discourage anybody working on it.

Even adding logic to remove 20% of the bound
checks in numeric code is going to help D because I think more and more
people will not disable bound checks in D.

--
Dmitry Olshansky