Hi Matheus!

On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 15:44:02 UTC, MattCoder wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 13:27:20 UTC, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
No one wants to work on GDC/LDC, so they shall remain obscure in
development and tailing behind current development.

Please could you tell more about the requirements/background that a person needs to fill this work?

I'm programmer for a while now, I wrote some: Business Systems (Job), games and small interpreters (Hobby) etc. But I always thought about contributing on my spare time, but I don't know how I could fill on this work.

Matheus.

For LDC it should be quite easy. :-)

First, build LDC from source. Instructions are here: http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source. Building LLVM from source it not a requirement but helps in tracking down problems.

If you master this step then you can choose a problem to tackle. Personally, I started with a merge of latest DMD frontend. This will be a round trip through the source because of possible merge conflicts. (For sure, the result can be contributed as a pull request.)

Another simple way to get started is to pick an open issue - see https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues. Fire up the debugger, set a breakpoint and step through the code and try identifying the root cause...

IMHO the only requirement is some knowledge of C++ (and having fun reading source and coding!). But even if you only know D (or only want to code in D) then there are some open tasks. If you or anybody else is interested in this please ask in the LDC newsgroup.

Regards,
Kai