On Friday, 6 June 2014 at 22:04:35 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
Am 06.06.2014 22:24, schrieb Dicebot:
On Friday, 6 June 2014 at 19:44:53 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
Battery usage is still a common problem. Everything has been working
perfectly for years now.

Not really, case in point my Netbook Asus EEE PC 1215B, which was sold
in Germany via Amazon with GNU/Linux support pre-installed.

After one year usage, the wireless card stopped working with IPv4 routers, because Ubuntu devs decided to replace the proprietary driver in the LTS distribution, although the open source version was still
work in progress.

LTS distribution

This is the problem. Don't use LTS releases for desktops and your Linux experience will be much more pleasant. It is natural but wrong approach simply because kernel and driver support is evolving so fast that LTS
versions can never really catch up.

Bleeding edge distros have best h/w support, though that may cost some
time wasted of system tinkering once in a while.

I got tired of tinkering. It must work out of the box, otherwise I have better things to do with my life.

--
Paulo

I gave up on Ubuntu due to bugs, crashes and general instability that started to appear around 9.10. I switched to Fedora 16 after Ubuntu 12.04 still had not resolved all the stability issues, X crashes every package upgrade etc. Fedora has never given me any real problems...

I switched to Arch about 12 months ago because I wanted the latest clang, gcc et. al. and didn't want to wait 3-4 months for the next Fedora release. I've never looked back.

Arch is by far the most stable and up to date Linux I've ever used.