On 07/07/14 14:09, Alix Pexton wrote:

Shame, I kinda liked the cardboard box, I surprised myself with how
quickly it came together.

What I don't like is that it looks like a standard icon with the D logo just added on top.

Have a look at this icon from Adium [1]. This icon is used for plugins for Adium. It uses the standard OS X icon for plugins with the Adium logo on.

I was surprised when I found my mother's Ubuntu net book had an icon for
D files that matched the default theme, while my vertualised Debian
install doesn't even have them for C.

There doesn't seem to be a standard file icon on Windows any more
either, C files on my machine get their icon from visual studio (simple
page with a big letter C) the page element is common to all the
filetypes registered by VS, but different to ones registered by IE and
bundled ones like text files. It is something that everyone seems to
have to reinvent!

The C icon probably comes from Xcode. BTW, here's how it looks like [2]. The corresponding icon from TextMate looks like this [3]. Just the TextMate logo with a name of the language at the bottom.

There is a generic page icon, but that doesn't seem to have been updated
to the windows 7 theme.

I'll try and find generic page icons for for as many systems as I can
and see if I can make one overlay that works well with them all.

I was wondering if it was worth making separate icons for .di .dd and
.ddoc files too, and I wanted to have a special icon for package.d but
there doesn't seem to be a way to specify an icon based on anything
other than the last element of the extension.

That depends on how they look like. For icons like this [2], it's pretty easy to create one for each extension.

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UtafxGD9vEQy0wQVhaMEFWa1U/edit?usp=sharing

[2] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UtafxGD9vEV2JCMk5jSjMyNnc/edit?usp=sharing

[3] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UtafxGD9vENFFZNVFSMHJ6Qjg/edit?usp=sharing

--