On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 17:01:45 UTC, Jane Doe wrote:
One thing that bothers me quite a bit is that char's do not have length. This makes it difficult in templates that can take either strings or chars.

While one can write a template that returns the length of a string or char, I would imagine that this could be implemented in the compiler more efficiently?

    char.length always returns 1.

Similarly, it would be nice to be able to use [] on chars.

    char[x] returns char.

Example:

    auto last(T)(T s) { return s[s.length-1]; }

    void main()
    {
        writeln(last("asdf"));
writeln(last('c')); // fails!! But surely this should work!
    }

http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/cba5a635d08e

    Error: s must be an array or pointer type, not char
    Error: no property 'length' for type 'char'

Basically, I see no reason why char's can't be more confluent with strings, at least on the surface. I would reduce code bloat/specialization for no real reason.

If the compile knows a type is a char then char.length = 1 and char[x] = char. Shouldn't be hard or cause any problems?

Would cause unexpected behavior / hard to track errors on typos.

If you want, you can do it yourself with UFCS:

import std.traits;
size_t length(C)(C c) if(isSomeChar!C)
{
    return 1;
}
unittest
{
    assert('a'.length == 1);
}

Not sure if you can do the same for opIndex(S)(S s) if(isSomeString!C) , probably not.

But you can do:

auto at(T)(T t, I index) if(isIntegral!T && (isSomeChar!T || isSomeString!T))
{
    static if(isSomeChar!T)
    {
        assert(index == 0,
"Non-zero index makes no sense for a single character);
        return t;
    }
    else
    {
        return t[index];
unittest
{
   assert("qwe".at(1) == 'w'.at(0));
}

(Note that I didn't test any of those, it may need modification)

That said, it's much better practice/safer/more maintainable use static if individually in any code that needs to treat characters and strings the same way, since they are _not_ the same. Static typing exists for a reason.