I have followed the recent discussions about D and I can see the usual pattern, to wit GC, Go (or whatever) is so much better, everyone blaming each other for not contributing, not being allowed to contribute blah.

First of all, I am in no position to criticize anyone who is contributing to the language. I don't contribute, because I don't have the time to do so. Indeed I have huge, massive respect for everyone who contributes to D. The only thing I do is to actually use the language and tell everyone about it. I have developed a screen reader plug in in D (using C libraries) that was ridiculously easy to integrate on Windows as a DLL. I used vibe.d to create a lightning fast online version of the screen reader. Believe me, D's supposed sluggishness as regards GC is not so important for most applications. I dare say 90% of all applications are fine with the current GC. I compiled both applications with dmd (testing phase) not with ldc or gdc and they are very fast.

Let's not forget that Go has millions and billions of dollars behind it and that it is inevitable that the whole internet will be full of zealots and professional posters who promote Go as "theeee best thing ever". People. Sheep. Meehhh.

Apart from the necessary discussions about language features / improvements we need to focus on the power of D. vibe.d is one example. I think the problem is that we don't bundle the various efforts that have been made independently well enough. Contribution to D is narrowly defined as "contributing to the library / core of the language". There has been mention of integrating vibe.d's fibers into the library. Even if it won't happen, we should set up an infrastructure that facilitates the use of the various, as of now independent, components and point users to it. I have to say that a lot of good things have escaped me simply because nobody told me about them. It's often by accident that I find out about a great library or framework in D.

Sometimes I have the feeling that we blow things out of proportion, because we walk right into the trap. The GC thing, although it is very important, is a good example. Let's not forget that zeolots and professional posters will always point out the flaws of D, and blow them out of proportion. "D doesn't have xyz, so it's shit!" Divide et impera (divide and rule).

Let's first make a list of things that have been achieved with D and that are on a par with or even bettar than in other languages (C, C++, C#, Go, Rust ...). Then, let's bundle the efforts that have been made independently. We will soon have a powerful and impressive framework. And let's not forget, a language (be it a natural or a computer language) only lives and thrives, if people use it.

My 2 cents. At your service.