On Sunday, 13 July 2014 at 01:49:16 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
So I have some questions: What is the magic number that will
trigger the release? What happens if we never reach that number?
Do we just continue waiting for it or do we make a decision at
some point that it's time? If so, how long do we wait? Is there
one person who makes the decision, or is it decision automatic?
If there is a person, who is it?

My understanding (I could be wrong) is the general rule of thumb has been "No *new* regressions compared to the previous release".

Yup, this is the case. And it is more important than conforming to any specific release date.