On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 18:54:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/x1bsTNf.jpg with archive.org
http://i.imgur.com/CEFCgAi.jpg with youtube.com

Indeed the archive.org resolutions looks visibly better; my understanding is archive.org is streaming the very mp4 content I uploaded to it. Could anyone give more detail on what processing youtube does?

I think that Youtube starts streaming at a lower quality and finishes playing some amount of the lower quality buffer before switching to the higher quality stream. If you kept watching the Youtube video, it should have gotten better. If you switch to higher quality, then seek back to the beginning of the video, it will start in the higher quality.

http://i.imgur.com/ERjtI8h.jpg Youtube after seeking back to beginning