On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:34:28AM +1000, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> "Tourist"  wrote in message news:cmeqwpzglxjksmiek...@forum.dlang.org...
>
> >Just curious. I remember that there was some kind of a roadmap, but I
> >cannot find it now.
>
> Nice timing, I was about to post a DDMD status message.
>
> As of a few hours ago DDMD has gone green in the autotester on the
> main platforms.
>
> https://auto-tester.puremagic.com/?projectid=10

Nice!!

> Of the failing platforms:
> OSX32: https://github.com/braddr/d-tester/pull/35 (OSX32 is crazy)
> linux cross compilers: The tester machines currently have the wrong
> dmd host toolchain installed.
> win64: Same sort of thing as the linux cross compilers
>
> The autotester is showing a performance hit in the range of 25-50%
> slower.  Memory consumption appears to have a less significant
> increase.

Hmm. We should run a profiler to find out where the performance hit is
coming from. It should be interesting, since presumably, your script to
translate dmd to D basically generates the D equivalent of the C++ code,
so major performance differences would point us to areas that need
improvement in D.

> Also note that the autotester is only building ddmd in debug mode -
> the dmd I'm comparing it against was built in release mode with full
> optimizations.

Oh. Could that be the reason for the performance hit?

> As for what's left:
> >Fix cross-compilers/osx32
> >Actually test and inevitably fix win64
> >Finish reducing memory consumption/reinstating custom allocation
> >schemes that I've disabled
> >Merge, test and release.
>
> And then do the same things again for the other two backends.
>
> You can build it by following the instructions here:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3410
>
> If things go well I may release a DDMD zip that matches 2.066 for
> people to try out.

Awesome.

One thought that occurred to me -- once the autotester goes green on all
platforms, we should probably have the autotester include ddmd testing
on all dmd PR's, so that during the transition period the C++ and D
changes will be fully in sync.

Why can't you just be a nonconformist like everyone else? -- YHL