On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 18:08:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 7/30/14, 10:50 AM, linkrope wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 17:01:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 7/30/14, 8:16 AM, Kagamin wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 14:59:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Such logic doesn't apply to vocabularies.

According to my vocabulary, a logger is something that logs. Didn't hear
about irater, and messer sounds like a German word.

Yah but the log object, i.e. the thing you log things in (the paper log on a ship etc) is "a log", not "a logger". A "logger" would be the
person writing into the log.

So the appropriate name for the default log object is "defaultLog" not "defaultLogger", or "stdlog" not "stdlogger". The better choice is
also shorter.

Andrei

Even shorter would be "log".
That would be better than enabling

    log.info(...);

via the already proposed

    import log = std.logger;

The only obstacle is the current "log" function.
But do we really need the free log functions? For UFCS?

Otherwise

    alias info = log.info;

would do the trick.

But here we're discussing the name of the default log object... -- Andrei

Yes: most of the time I should be happy with the default log object.
Call it "log" and the uses look great:

    log.error("something went wrong");