On Saturday, 2 August 2014 at 01:55:49 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 08/02/2014 03:11 AM, Chris Cain wrote:
However, by not stating what it is you have provided "strong evidence" for,

Why would I need to? It is what you were arguing against: "You will notice it uses the word 'assertion' in a way that is incompatible with your claim that the "assert definition" rules out such an usage."

I think it should be clear from the context, no? Am I missing something?

In one post you claim:
In any case, my easy way out is to note that this is not my assertion.

In the next you claim I *was* arguing against what you were asserting.

I think the point about you lacking clarity makes itself absolutely crystal clear here.

Frankly, it's too difficult to understand you and I'm tired because I've had to argue with another guy about the definition of "test" because "That's not a test, that's code!" *facepalm* I really don't want to get into that sort of argument here again.

Frankly, I feel the thing you're going through is simply cognitive dissonance. I started this topic out thinking Walter was wrong but his points are far stronger and make a lot more sense when you consider more of the context behind `assert`, including the English definition (but also including the articles on assertions). So FWIW, I understand how you feel. But you're going to have to get over it and incorporate the new knowledge by arguing with yourself on the matter. Frankly, you're the person with the most to gain by casting aside misunderstandings of concepts. I don't gain anything by convincing you, so it makes more sense for you to argue with yourself, in this case. Really, I wouldn't mind doing you the favor of convincing you, but I have no tolerance for people whose cognitive dissonance is strong enough to argue against basic definitions of words (which you can verify by simply typing into Google "assert definition"). Honestly it makes it impossible for us to communicate when you won't even agree to accept a definition of a word which is widely accepted by every dictionary I can find.

If you have a problem with the understanding of "assertion", Google the definition until you're satisfied with a mental model behind it. It makes absolute abundant sense of why it would mean what Walter suggests. I think you'll find it really hard to continue to disagree with 10 dictionaries, so hopefully it'll cure you of your cognitive dissonance. Of course, by some luck you might find one dictionary I haven't found that might support your position, but I hope for your sanity and personal growth that you realize that 10 to 1 definitions means there's far more evidence against that.