On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 22:25:59 UTC, Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d wrote:

You're using a nonstandard definition of undefined behavior. Undefined behavior has a precise meaning, that's why Timon linked the wiki article
for you.

The regular definition of assert does not involve any undefined behavior,
only the newly proposed one.

But the 'newly proposed one' is the definition that I have been using all
along.

OK, but my point was you were using a different definition of undefined behavior. We can't communicate if we aren't using the same meanings of words.

The 'regular' definition of assert that you claim is what I see as
the redefinition - it is a definition based on the particular
implementation of assert in other languages, not on the conceptual idea of assert as I understand it (and as it appears to be intended in D).

The 'regular' definition of assert is used in C, C++ and for the last >10years (afaik), in D. If you want to change it you need a good justification. I'm not saying such justification necessarily exist doesn't either, maybe it does but I have not seen it.

This appears to be the root of the argument, and has been circled repeatedly... it's not my intent to restart another round of discussion on that well traveled ground, I just wanted to state my support for the
definition as I understand it.

I disagree. I don't think the fact that some people already had the new definition in mind before is really all that relevant. That's in the past. This is all about the pros and cons of changing it now and for the future.