On Sunday, 31 August 2014 at 09:37:35 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:23:24 +0000
Joakim via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

As such, his GPL, which doesn't allow such pragmatic mixing of open and closed source, is
...a great thing to stop invasion of proprietary software. hey, i'm not *renting* my smartphone, i'm *buying* it! and i want to be able to change it's software as i like. yet what i got is a bunch of blobs and a locked loader. i don't want to pay my money for jailing me: the ones
who want to put me in a jail should pay to me to compensate my
inconvience.

i don't care about what is good for some corporation out here. what i really care about is what is good for *me*. GPLv3 makes me happy. BSDL
makes corporations happy. so it's obvious choice.

Good luck with that, let me know when you find a GPLv3 smartphone to buy. I'll predict when that'll happen: never.

That's because _you_ may care about changing the software on your smartphone and don't want to use the binary blobs that make switching harder, but almost nobody else does. Those who want to change the software right now simply work around and reuse the blobs, ie cyanogen, AOKP, etc. At least you can do that when there's a mix, as opposed to the previously dominant model of pure closed source, which didn't allow such updating at all.