On 9/1/2014 3:00 AM, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:43:23 +0000
Joakim via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

This is what guys like Stallman or ketmar don't seem to get, that
mixed-source still leads to _more_ open source
which was used to produce vendor-locked smartphone.

Yea, a vendor-locked smartphone that still gives you far more freedoms than iOS or WinRT ever will.

You're not seriously going to try to tell me that someone as pro-OSS as you *genuinely* believes we'd be better off with an Apple monopoly, are you? Because that's exactly what we'd have right now if Google had insisted on 100% openness. *NO* vender would have touched it.

Besides, you *CAN* buy android smartphones that aren't service vendor locked. Quite easily, in fact. You can even get one directly from Google. Just don't expect the *vendor* to be one of the sellers.

bwah, what's good in this "open source" then?

Seriously?

Go put your software and OS mods on an iPhone or WinRT and *then* try to tell everyone that the open portions of Android don't do any good.

Are you trolling or just genuinely naive?

"look but don't touch"?

and i won't buy freedroid/cyanogen too: they are in the same jail due
to hardware drivers (especially videodrivers), which are blobs again.
yes, they can make workarounds, but... working on workarounds for
proprietary software neither fun nor good.

And what phone do *you* use? Rotary? Telegraph? Even the cordless landline phones have microcontrollers running closed-source firmware.

I don't like the proprietary crap any more than you do. But guess what? You don't have a choice. It's either "partially closed" (android) or "very closed" (everything else). Nothing else exists right now.