On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 19:35 +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> I think that you are a little pessimistic about that, yes, that's
> the trend, but prior art still is relevant today: I'm about to
> reply to an action of the USPTO regarding a patent filed by my
> company in 2004, and the examiner keep objecting every time,
> arguing about new improbable prior-arts documentation every
> time...
[…]

Prior art is more or less the only tool left against the steamroller of
large corporate gaming of the patent system, especially in the USA which
is fundamentally oriented towards patent lawyers.

The UK patent system used to be very careful about research into prior
art etc. and totally against software patents which are technically
forbidden in UK law.  However, with the EU patent office in the pocket
of the USTR and Cameron clearly lined up for a lucrative post in a big
corporate once ousted as leader of the conservative party, it is clear
that UK government is telling UKIPO to let the lawyers do all the work,
and allow everything large corporate want.

Funny how so many UK MPs were lawyers.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net