On Friday, 5 September 2014 at 06:23:45 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I think this thread, and every other discussion of GPL on the net, demonstrate one of my earlier points: GPL is freaking confusing.

Yeah, it is probably not a good idea to use GPL if you don't agree with the political views of FSF and the policy-making they are championing.

The idea that an external party, that you are not affiliated with, can change the license of an author is extraordinary!

And probably at at odds with what is taken as basic authorship rights in some jurisdictions. But it might stand a chance if the author explicitly grant FSF the right to do it in every single source fileā€¦ It makes it more difficult for the author to claim that he has been tricked by FSF to give them the authority without understanding the consequences fully.

Some of the GPL weirdness is caused by FSF using copyright treaties to take away authorship rights in all countries, while the treaties are about granting the author rights in all countries.