On 9/15/14, 2:53 AM, Robert burner Schadek wrote:
On Monday, 15 September 2014 at 02:26:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

The road there is long, but it starts with the proverbial first step.
As it were, I have a rough draft of a almost-drop-in replacement of
string (aka immutable(char)[]). Destroy with maximum prejudice:

http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/817283c163f5

I haven't found a single lock, is single threading by design or is
thread-safety on your todo?

Currently shared strings are not addressed.

Could you transfer this into phobos and make it work with the functions
in std.string, it would be a shame if they wouldn't work out of the box
when this gets merged. I haven't seen anything that should prevent using
the functions of std.string except isSomeString but that should be no
problem to fix.

Good idea.

This is sort of personal to me as most of my PR are in
std.string and I sort of aspire to become the LT for std.string ;-)

Oooh, nice!

I would assume RCString should be faster than string, so could you
provide a benchmark of the two.

Good idea. It likely won't be faster for the most part (unless it uses realloc and realloc is a lot faster than GC.realloc). Designs based on RCString will, however, have a tighter memory footprint.