Am 18.09.2014 20:10, schrieb "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com>":
On Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 09:16:39 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
These issues are touched in the book if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but I don't have it and hoped you would give me some juicy quotes :).

The book is a few thousand kilometres from my current location. So no chance.

Quite a few C++ design decisions came from the requirement to fit 1:1
with C toolchains.

Isn't it funny (or sad) though how the IT sector keeps being bogged down
by clogged backwards compatibility issues going all the way back to the
60s and 70s?

Yes, which is why incremental changes tend to win over disruptive ones.

Then we also have certain technologies that become mainstream and destroy better ones (e.g. C).

All the efforts the programming communities that care about safety now have to spend promoting languages like D to fix the security issues created by it. When more safer languages were already available at the time UNIX spread out of university labs.

--
Paulo