On Sunday, 21 September 2014 at 03:28:03 UTC, Mike wrote:
I suggest the compiler insert calls to whatever "lifetime events" may cause an increment/decrement. Then, the druntime can provide the implementation.

I believe with these runtime hooks in place platform-specific optimizations and even alternative memory managers can be experimented with.

Your post gave me an idea already, so far we've only been focusing on Throwable, however... the solution for Error:s and Exception:s is actually asymmetric!

For the vast majority of applications the best possible implementation for Error:s is to simply leak the memory, this is definitely not true for Exceptions(but it could be true for a small subset of applications, short-lived tools).

Daniel